Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Deerfield Fair Pics


 This past weekend I went to the Deerfield Fair- probably the biggest fair in New Hampshire in the fall. My family has been going ever since I was a little girl. I'd missed it for the past few years, and it was so nice to go back again and revisit some old memories. My father-in-law was visiting from New Mexico, so I thought it would be a great place to take him and show him a piece of NH.

My favorite part is petting the animals. The owners allow you to walk right up and pet the cows, sheep, goats, and even the pigs! I'm always amazed at how gentle they are. The one I'm petting in the picture was a prize winner!



...and how big they are! This white ox stood taller than me- and almost as tall as my husband- as you can see in the picture. They were used back in the day for pulling those giant wagons full of people and supplies. It was like looking back in history to see them alive today. I'm surprised how many people still keep animals like this. I can't imagine what it costs to feed such a big creature! (Or transport it) I saw some gigantic four wheel drive trucks with double tires!
It was a great experience. We guessed 30-40 thousand people were there. Just the spectacle alone was exciting. We stayed until night fall, and the rides were all lit up. The Ferris wheel was gorgeous. I'm so glad they still have events like this in this digital/technical day and age.

No comments: