Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Review of the 2002 BBC mini-series Daniel Deronda

Melancholy and Filled with Regret

My gosh, if you are looking for a happy, heart warming story to charm you, then do not put this on. Daniela Deronda goes where a lot of other BBC mini series do not go- to the point of no return where the girl marries the wrong guy and then hates herself afterwards. I was shocked. But, I couldn't stop watching it. It was marvelously done and expertly acted. It must be an exceptional novel by George Eliot- who is a woman for those of you who don't know!! I'm surprised I was never told to read this in English class. 
 
Even though the ending is a melancholy one, everyone gets what he/she deserves- at least in my opinion. When that boat mast hits you-know-who I couldn't help but breath with relief. And when you-know-who proposes the right girl (the girl who deserves it) I cheered. 
 
Hugh Bonneville was excellent in this role. I'm used to him being a kind hearted man of honor from Downton Abbey, so this cold, calculated villain role was quite surprising.  I loved how he waited like five minutes before answering everyone, and how he walked around with such arrogance, you wanted to smack him. How can anyone hit one puppy and then cuddle another one? 

I loved the character arc of Gwendolyn Harleth, the beautiful blond who has everything going for her until its all stripped away. I didn't like her at all in the beginning, but at the end, I really felt bad for her. She brought it all on herself by making all the wrong choices, and I'm glad she found her peace (in a way) in the end.

Totally recommended- but only if you're prepared for it.


No comments: