Saturday, March 22, 2014

My Review of House of Cards

Excellent Writing but too Vicious For Me

So, I started watching House of Cards- which is a Netflix original series. It's about this congressman  in Washington-played by Kevin Spacey- who wants to get revenge on the people who kept him from becoming Secretary of State. It's is extremely well written, but too vicious for me. The whole congress is corrupt, and the only way to survive is to be aggressive and manipulate those around you. While it makes for good TV, every episode left me feeling hopeless and helpless to stop the injustice of our government. I certainly hope our government isn't anything close to what goes on here. I am appalled.
This series  has no good guys. Not even one. Everyone is just trying to stay elected and scratch the backs of those more powerful around them. It made me want to rewatch all of my Star Trek episodes, where every episode is a good example of good guys making society better- not bad guys making it worse. We need more television shows about how to be good and make a difference, not how to cheat the system and use it to our own advantage. Blah!

Needless to say, I stopped halfway through the first season.

Feel free to leave any comments below as to how you took it and if you are going to keep watching.

No comments: