Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Movie Review: Life of Pi

A Visually Stunning Emotional Journey Exploring Science, Religion, and Faith

It took me a while to get into this movie, but once I did, I couldn't stop watching. Towards the end there's a a goosebump moment of realization that turns the whole movie on its head and makes it truly worth watching. BUT, this is definitely one of those movies that will make you make your own decisions and come to your own conclusions. If you don't like that open-ended resolution, then you will find this movie challenging to digest. 

I loved how this little boy explored three different religions.It gave me a sense of unity where there's been so much hatred and violence.

The allegory with the tiger is fascinating. The boy insists he sees a soul in the beast, and his father insists there's nothing there but an enemy that would kill you in a second. There's a strong theme throughout debating if he's seeing what he wants to see or what's truly there.

As a writer, it taught me how to use allegories on so many levels. The multilayered meanings are what make the story stay with you long after you've seen it, challenging you to raise your own questions. I hope someday to achieve the same with my books.

2 comments:

Cher Green said...

Thanks for this review. I haven't watched it yet, but sounds like it would be good.

Dan O. said...

Aside from all the metaphors and the imagery, the film has almost everything that one would want in a film. It may be heavy-handed, but it always dazzles. Good review Aubrie.