Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Review: On Stranger Tides



In this adventure, Jack stands alone with a whole new set of characters: The vile Blackbeard, the evilest pirate you'll ever meet (played by Ian Mcshane), an old flame who he can't trust (played by Penelope Cruz), a noble and valiant minister (played by Sam Clafin), and a slew of flesh eating mermaids.

Motivations is what this is all about, and they shift and evolve as the plot twists out: Jack wants to right an old wrong, Angelica wants years of life, Blackbeard wants to break a prophecy, and Barbossa wants revenge. All together, they travel to the proposed Fountain of Youth, and I must say, when they all got there, I had no idea what was going to happen next!

Action packed, brimming with great one liners, this kept my attention all two hours, and I was sad to see it end.

Blackbeard is the ultimate bad guy. His motivations are all for himself, and like the minister says, "All souls can be saved, but yours is a long shot." Here we have a pirate worse than any other in all the POTC tales.



On another note, I immensely enjoyed the scenes with the mermaids. They seemed so sweet and beautiful. A love story plays out, both fragile and innocent, contrasting very nicely with the dirty pirate woes. I only wish they had more scenes with Serena in them!



Overall: 5 stars. I recommend it if you're looking for a visually stunning high stakes adventure on the seas!

15 comments:

Cherie Reich said...

Great review! POTC4 looks like a fun movie to watch. Can't wait to watch it.

Lindsey Duncan said...

Love this review! My only question would be: did they tone down the plotline explosion? I thought that the third movie approached incoherence because the storyline tried to juggle too many balls at once. I'd imagine yes since this is a brand new tale ...

Mandie Baxter said...

Love, Love, Loved it! Wasn't sure how I would feel at first, with no Orlando and all, but it exceeded my expectations! :)

Southpaw said...

I so happy to read a good review. I've been worry. Thanks!

Unknown said...

This is one I definitely want to see and I'm not a movie watcher. Great review!

Christine Rains said...

I do love Captain Jack! I also like bad guys who are thoroughly bad. Awesome!

Okie said...

Nice review and well said. I too was sad to see it end, largely because I was left wanting more...more mermaids, more sea battles, more character interaction...there were too many threads that weren't explored in the detail that I wanted.

Overall, still great.

Creepy Query Girl said...

I've heard a lot of good things about this! Now if only my husband will agree to go see it with me!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

oooh nice review. Thanks for sharing. I am so excited to see this.

Jayne said...

Thank you - what a great review! You've given me just enough hints to make me know I'll like this film, yet didn't give anything away about what happens. Perfect. Now I really want to see this. Gotta love Captain Jack!

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Looks like fun! I'm wulling to bet that my kids are gonna beg me to take them:)

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

I saw this movie too. But I'd only give it three stars. the story that interested me most was the preacher and the mermaid. Part of Jack Sparrow's problem is he's a secondary character who never changes. I like him, but I want him to be a hero, and he hasn't made the move to become one yet. I'm hoping...

Susan Fields said...

I was wondering how this one would be with Keira and Orlando - thanks for the review!

Susan Fields said...

Oops - I meant without Keira and Orlando, not with them.

Theresa Milstein said...

Can you believe I haven't seen any of these? I should put them in my Netflix queue.