Sunday, January 31, 2010
Why do we comment on blogs?
Some blogs have zero comments for every entry, and others, especially literary agent blogs have a hundred comments all from different people! So, how do you decide whether or not to comment on a blog?
I thought about it and here are some of the factors that urge me to comment:
1. If the subject matter is something that peaks my interest. For instance, I love movies, and if someone posts something about a sci fi or fantasy movie that I've seen, you bet I'll be there with a comment.
2. If the subject matter is something that I know a lot about. If I feel as though I can contribute in a constructive way, than I sure do comment!
3. If If the person is a regular commenter on my blog. Then, I tend to know more about them and feel comfortable commenting on their posts. I also think it's like returning a favor!
4. If the blogger is feeling down about rejections or whatever. I feel the need to empathize.
5. If they pose a question like: What are your favorite foods? Or how do you deal with rejection? Then I find it easy to comment!
6. If they are having a contest! I love entering contests on blogs and I've won a number of things: Chocolate (thank you, Angie), two critique contests, and numerous books.
7. If the person responds to my comments, especially when I ask a question. Then, I know they are reading the comments and I feel as though my comments are considered.
My question to you is: what gets you to comment on someone else's blog? What makes you be a follower? I'm looking for more followers, so if you could de-mystify this process for me, that would be helpful!