Friday, January 8, 2010

Which Novel Sounds Better?

I'm stuck between two novels right now, trying to figure out which one will grab an agent's attention the most and what the market is turning towards. I thought you guys could help me decide which one to focus on.

Novel #1 Young Adult, Fantasy, Steampunk (so far 11,120 words)

City of Sparkling Light

Gilda is a simple seamstress in the small tatter town of Lamplight Alley, a village nestled in the shadow of the city of Shine. When a strange chest appears outside Shine’s locked gates, tempting the citizens of Lamplight Alley to part with their meager gold for a ticket inside, Gilda gets the chance she’s always wanted. But soon she learns that dreams don’t always come true, and Shine is not the place of hope that her townspeople make it out to be. Under the city’s glitter and glamour lies greed, vanity, and a dark secret that could change the lives of the people of Lamplight Alley forever.

Novel #2 Science Fiction, Romance, Space Pirates (so far 19,334 words)

Aries is a Lifer: a sixth generation colonist living aboard the Ark, a deep space transport vessel destined for a paradise planet three hundred years away. Her purpose is to maintain the life support systems and marry Lieutenant Barliss, producing two genetically superior children to take their place at the helm.

Stifled by an existence predestined by computer calculations, Aries manipulates an escape months before her marriage ceremony to Barliss. Her flight pod crashes on a desert planet with minimal survival conditions and she is caught between the search and rescue teams of the Ark and the primitive hunters on the alien world. While struggling to survive, she is rescued by Striker, a space pirate exiled by his mutinous crew. Together they search for the last relic needed to revive an ancient alien craft, their only means of escape. With the search teams flying above and the hunters stalking them below, Aries is forced to make the ultimate sacrifice; her freedom for Striker’s life.

Which novel would you be more interested in reading and why? Please comment, (even if you've never commented before!) I need your help!

11 comments:

Kris said...

I like the Steampunk one myself...they are gaining popularity too!

Cherie Reich said...

Personally, I would go for the YA steampunk one too. I enjoy reading YA books and ones that lean a bit more towards fantasy than sci-fi. It does seem like more steampunk books are coming out as well.

Aubrie said...

Thanks for the advice gals!

Nicole Zoltack said...

Fantasy YA books are huge right now so if you are looking to grab an agent, you probably will want to work on that one first. Personally though, I would like to read the sci fi one, and I don't normally go for sci fi (maybe it helps that I'm currently in the middle of a sci fi short myself!). Good luck with whichever story you choose!

Mary Gray said...

Another vote for the steampunk one!

Aubrie said...

Okay, thanks Nicole and M. Gray!

BK Mattingly said...

Sorry I'm a bit late to give you my input but I thought I'd let you know anyway and hope it helps. I think both sound like something I'd read. Like Nicole, I would recommend doing the YA Fantasy first and the other one next. I think they both sound great and I've never heard of Space Pirates before, you have me greatly intrigued. :)

Aubrie said...

Thanks Bethany!

Lisa Rusczyk said...

Hmm they both sound good, but I'm a sucker for deep, dark secrets so I would want to read the first one you described. Plus, your writing style would make the world a beautiful place I'm sure!

Aubrie said...

Awww, thanks Lisa!

sanjeet said...

It does seem like more steampunk books are coming out as well.

Work from home India